It is important that students begin their higher educational careers at the appropriate level. To help identify this level, Lincoln College evaluates incoming students’ ability and preparedness through placement testing in mathematics and English composition. Lincoln College uses ACT’s COMPASS® computer-based tests.
All students must complete placement testing before registering for any course at Lincoln College if:
- they have not successfully completed a college level mathematics or English course at an accredited institution.
- they have not achieved a 26 or higher on their composite ACT and 26 or higher on their mathematics sub-score.
Transfer students may submit COMPASS scores from a previous institution provided testing was completed within the past two calendar years. Scores must be sent directly to Lincoln College from ACT COMPASS or the institution that administered the test.
Placement tests are given to all students who participate in SOAR and also scheduled during registration periods.
Students who wish to repeat the COMPASS test may do so with the following stipulations:
- A $20 fee per test will be assessed for each subsequent attempt.
- Students are advised to wait at least one week after their initial attempt before retaking a placement exam.
- Students may not retake their COMPASS once courses for the semester have begun.
For practice COMPASS® test questions, visit the following sites: